New GuardianOS Software Improves Compatibility, Security and Performance
SAN DIEGO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/24/14 --
Overland Storage, Inc. (NASDAQ: OVRL), a trusted global provider of unified data management and data protection solutions across the data lifecycle, today introduced SnapServer GuardianOS 7.5, the latest version of its award-winning platform that powers the company's SnapServer Series of NAS (network-attached storage) Servers. Optimized for reliability and speed, GuardianOS delivers storage provisioning, data protection and mixed client network environments, improved cross-platform file sharing and security.
The new GuardianOS integrates replication, thin provisioning, snapshots and backup. Users are able to mix and match hard drives of different capacities in the same storage array for uninterrupted storage growth. The thinly provisioned storage pools allow multiple NAS volumes and iSCSI LUNs to share the same resources and data protection for simplified administration.
New GuardianOS Software Features
- Data protection, volume management and provisioning enable an administrator to easily add storage as business needs change, and automatically integrates new capacity to increase storage space for all client systems.
- BitTorrent Sync enables customers to conveniently create their own private cloud on a SnapServer NAS without the hassle, risk and expense of a third-party cloud service.
- High-Performance Snapshots are linked to the SnapServer file system for more efficient capacity utilization, and offers an up to 3x improvement in write performance.
- Automated software replication initiates offsite movement of files for disaster recovery and backup.
- The Windows-only Tree improves Permission Handling and Authentication enabling Windows and UNIX/Mac users to easily share files in mixed environments.
- The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) allows administrators to set permissions and specify access to directories through name lookup to and from a unique user identifier (UID).
- The new SnapServer Printer Sharing feature eliminates the need for a separate, dedicated print server by sharing printing services to multiple users on the same local area network.
- Server Message Block (SMB) 2.0 improves read and write performance for Windows clients and servers when accessing SnapServer storage.
"The new GuardianOS storage architecture empowers SnapServer customers to protect, grow and securely access data remotely all from a single interface," said Jeremy Zuber, product manager for Overland Storage. "SnapServer administrators can better plan their storage resource requirements for future growth and simplify provisioning across users and departments."
Commenting on the news, Evan Sackstein, vice president of sales for BackupWorks (www.backupworks.com), a data storage reseller of Overland Storage products, said, "These new Guardian OS features give our customers increased performance and flexibility to share files in heterogeneous environments and adapt to changes in their businesses."
The new GuardianOS software is available now for download by SnapServer DX customers at http://support.overlandstorage.com/support/snapserver-nas.htm, and as a free upgrade for all new SnapServer customers.
About SnapServer DX Series
The SnapServer DX NAS Series is a data storage solution that allows users to manage their storage infrastructure without manual intervention. It is the simplest unified NAS and ISCSI SAN storage for today's business applications -- from virtualized server and Microsoft Exchange environments, to backup and storage consolidation.
About Overland Storage
Overland Storage is a trusted global provider of unified data management and data protection solutions across the data lifecycle. The Company delivers one of the most extensive and complementary product portfolios and service offerings in the industry. By providing an integrated range of technologies and services for primary, nearline, offline, and archival data storage, Overland Storage and Tandberg Data, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Overland, make it easy and cost-effective to manage different tiers of information over the data lifecycle, whether distributed data is across the hall or across the globe.
Overland Storage recently announced its proposed merger with Sphere 3D Corporation (NASDAQ: ANY). This alliance is intended to bring together next generation technologies for virtualization and cloud coupled with end-to-end scalable storage offerings allowing them to address the larger and growing virtualization and cloud markets. Overland Storage and Tandberg Data solutions are available through a select network of value-added resellers and system integrators. For more information, visit www.overlandstorage.com or www.tandbergdata.com.
Overland Storage, the Overland logo and Tandberg Data, SnapServer and GuardianOS are trademarks or registered trademarks of Overland Storage, Inc. that may be registered in some jurisdictions. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
+1 (408) 283-4779
Source: Overland Storage